The Canon A590IS is a powerful entry-level digital camera designed for budding photographers and photography enthusiasts.
Priced at US$179 the A590 IS is a ruggedly crafted and yet lightweight 8.0 megapixel camera packed with rich features at its affordable price.
According to Canon, the A590 IS boast of an impressive 4x (35mm-140mm equivalent) zoom lens that offers a richer feature set than other entry-level PowerShot cameras..
Key features include:
- 8.0 Megapixels, 1/ 2.5â€ CCD
- Macro allows photography from 5-45 cm 5-45cm (W), 30-45cm (T)
- 4x optical zoom
- Focal length 5.8-23.2mm f/2.6-5.5 (35mm film equivalent: 35-140mm)
- 8-1600 ISO (sensitivity)
- 2.5-inch amorphous silicon TFT color LCD screen (115,000 pixels)
- 220 shots per battery (Alkaline) charge
- Takes SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card MEDIA
- Ruggedly crafted, lightweight dark silver body
- 175 grams
- Dimensions of 94.3 mm x 64.7 mm x 40.8 mm (W x H x D)
- New easy mode simplifies operation, and shooting modes from Manual to automatic make picture-taking care-free
What the manufacturer says:
Staking out the upper-middle tier of the PowerShot A-series, the new camera offers users the option of 19 shooting modes, from fully automatic to fully manual operation for greater creative control. The A590 IS camera also features Canon’s advanced Optical Image Stabilization (OIS).
What users and reviewers are saying:
â€œThe success of the A570 speaks for itself, and from everything we’ve seen so far, those no reason why this success shouldn’t translate to the PowerShot A590 IS as well.â€- David Rasnake
â€œThe Canon PowerShot A590 IS’s manual exposure controls and surprisingly sharp pictures make it a great choice for almost anyone looking for a sub-$200 shooter.â€-CNET Reviews
â€œThe image-stabilized Canon A590 IS is a solid point-and-shoot camera that provides power for photographers who know how to use it, but is still a great entry-level camera for novice users.â€- Digital Camera HQ
With a very affordable price tag up its sleeves plus the fact that it is from Canon, the A590 IS would seem the best choice for an entry level camera to date. Itâ€™s about time that Canon came out with a follow up to an otherwise powerful and widely used A570 IS. The three reviews cited is a proof that the A590 IS is a must have for entry-level photographers as well as a back camera for photo hobbyists.