The Canon Powershot G9 is a high-end fixed lens digital camera designed for prosumer/photography enthusiasts who have been longing for the RAW mode that has been absentÂ from previous Canon G models.
Priced at US$425 the Powershot G9 stands above the competition with 12.1 megapixels of resolution for high image quality and functionality.
According to Canon, the Powershot G9Â offers serious shooters and value-minded professionals a feature-packed camera with many of the advanced photographic capabilities of a high-end Digital SLR camera, in a lightweight, compact package at an affordable price.
Key features include:
- 12.1 Megapixels, 1/1.7 inch type Charge Coupled Device CCD
- Macro allows photography fromÂ 1-50cm
- 6x optical zoom
- Focal length 7.4-44.4mm (35mm film equivalent 210mm)
- 80-1600 ISO (sensitivity)
- 3.0 inch LCD screen (230,000pixels)
- 240 shots per battery charge
- Takes SD/SDHC, MultiMedia, MMC Plus, HC MMC Plus MEDIA
- matte black body
- 320 grams
- Dimensions of 106.4mm x 71.9mm x 42.5mm (W x H x D)
- Full range of shooting and recording modes including JPEG + RAW for the ultimate in creative control, compatible with a wide range of accessories including EOS Speedlites, Canon supplementary lenses and a waterproof case.
What the manufacturer says:
“The PowerShot G9 digital camera brings our highest levels of performance and usability to the G-series By combining RAW Mode with our other key technologies in this camera, we’re providing a high-performing and affordable option to advanced photo enthusiasts who want the creative power of a Digital SLR in a smaller body form.”
What punters are saying:
“The Canon PowerShot G9 gets a leg up over its predecessor by improving photo quality and restoring raw-format support while maintaining the same excellent performance and body design.”-Lori Grunin
“If you’re looking for a go-anywhere pocketable camera in this price range you owe it to yourself to look at Canon’s G9.”-Ken Tanaka
It offers the ultimate control over image quality for those prepared to spend the time refining their images post-capture, and a wealth of advanced features that will satisfy most photographers’ needs.”-Mark Goldstein
Canon has mastered the creation of a compact digital camera and this is best exhibited by the Canon Powershot G9. With the presence of the RAW mode and compatibility with EOS speedlites and accessories, it is definitely a good back-up if you own a Canon DSLR. If you don’t have a DSLR, then the Powershot G9 is the next best thing to the entry levelÂ Canon DSLR model.